Saturday, March 19, 2011

30 Day Song Challenge Day 4

Day 4: A Song that makes me sad.

"But as the scenery grows, I see in different lights. The shades and shadows undulate in my perception. My feelings swell and stretch; I see from greater heights. I understand what I am still too proud to mention... to you."

I'd like to see Rebecca Black or Justin Bieber drop the word "undulate" in one of their songs.

If you don't own Fiona Apple's album "Tidal," you need to hop on iTunes, Amazon.com or head to your nearest Best Buy and get it... NOW. This album came out when I was 13 years old (1996) and it wasn't until I was 16/17 that I was introduced to her and fell in love. This album defined the summer before my junior year of high school. My first serious relationship had ended the fall before in epic tragedy (i was cheated on for the first time) and I was deep into another one... who would end up cheating on me later (all because at 16, I wouldn't put out. I have morals, go figure).

Listening to Fiona again makes me miss the 90s and the amazing music it gave us, especailly from women. It was the age of Lillith Fair and Sarah McLachlan brought together some of the most amazing women artists of the time: Fiona Apple, Sheryl Crow, Queen Latifah, Diana Krall, Indigo Girls, Jewel and Martina McBride, to name a few. Where else would you get this eclectic mix of female artists? We were introduced to the estrogen angst of Alanis Morissette and while women celebrated... men were nervous. It was a fantastic time to be a woman.

But I digress...

This song is about insecurity, trust and expectations. The lyrics are extremely powerful and the melody is hauntingly beautiful. I understand the hurt and insecurity at the beginning and the realization of strength at the end. I understand it more than I would like to admit.




It did take me a while to choose this song. I'm generally a happy person, so finding a song that makes me sad was a) difficult, and b) not really something I want to do. But while searching, I did find a few that made the short list. These songs don't necessarily make me cry or bum me out, but it strikes a chord in me... insecurity (like above) or yearning for something in my life.

Honorable Mentions:

"I Want Love" by Elton John. Amazing lyrics and a fantastic video.


"Someone Like You" by Adele. If you have a heart that has been broken, or regret a decision you made in love... this song will hit you. This would have gotten the #1 slot, until I found Fiona's song. Fiona's song has been with me longer. Adele's new album "21" is another you need to go buy right now.


"The Steward of Gondor" feat. Billy Boyd. Know by about 5 other names, this is the official title from The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Soundtrack. Amazing lyrics and the scene is so powerful. Can't put the video here, but take the minute to watch a brilliant bit of film making. Better yet... just watch all 3 extended editions.

No comments:

Post a Comment