Tuesday, February 1, 2011

10th Anniversary of my 18th Birthday

Man... I'm old.

I don't feel old. But the numbers say I'm getting there. Almost 30. Yikes.

I decided to brave the coming snow storm last night and drive to the Y for my first personal training session. I walk to the PT's desk and ask for her, and she looks 10. She's really 25, but she doesn't look it... and she's small, perky and blonde. Great. I should have known better. She's extremely nice though and after going through all the fitness/health assessments, we only had time for some quick work showing me the treadmill, elliptical and some other machine that makes me feel like I'm a gazelle on the African prairie.... which would be great if it was true. I'm more like the penguin who found a gazelle skin and decided to try to join the herd.

I have decided that I'm an outdoor runner. Running in place on a treadmill just doesn't do it for me. I want to feel like I'm going somewhere, even if its just back to the car. I get excited when I come over a hill and see my maroon beauty beckoning me to come sit, drive home and enjoy the comfort of my recliner... and after running 2-3 miles, I feel like I've earned that recliner.

So today I get to celebrate my birthday by doing absolutely nothing, due to the snow storm outside. I was born in 10 inches of snow, but I don't think we'll reach that today. I'm going to try and walk over to our apartment complex's gym this afternoon and re-start my Couch to 5K program.

I think I'm going to run the Go Wichita Prairie Fire Half Marathon in October. I will probably run for charity, I'm just not sure which. I have one particular charity in mind, but I'm not sure the cause will go over well for some here in KS. I'm participating in WalkMS in April, and will be running. The short track is about a 5K and the long track is about 10K. My Couch to 5K program is about 9 weeks, which will be perfect. I'll be done with the program about 3 weeks before the event.

So, since I have nothing else to do today, I'm going to take a nice nap and head to the gym later this afternoon for a run!

Happy Birthday to Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment