Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mulligans, Oscars and other Irish Names...

What would we all do without golf? It has given us the Arnold Palmer (delicious), Happy Gilmore, Caddyshack (just be the ball) and the fantastic term Mulligan.

The golfing community sites 3 different possible origins of this term and practice, but they are essentially the same story: "Blank" Mulligan is playing golf, messes up his first shot on the tee box and begs his golfing partners for a re-do, which is granted.

We have adopted this term into our every day vernacular. Usually used in reference to a do over in a game or sport, we also use it when we wish to restart something in our lives... and for me, its usually health related. I tried giving up chocolate, and failed... so Mulligan!! I tried organizing my life, but got caught up watching episodes of "Drop Dead Diva"... Mulligan!!

My Mulligan today is the 100 Day Challenge I attempted to start on Feb 4.

I didn't try as hard as I should, and I can use work and illness as a large (yet valid) excuse, but it's not going to get me anywhere. So I've decided to take a Mulligan and start again.

So March 1, 2011 to June 8, 2011. 30 minutes (min) of exercise a day.

I have decided to buy one of those large desk calendars to put up to help me schedule my workouts and mark off the days. I'm hoping a large visual aid will give me more motivation. Also, seeing the days count down to the WalkMS will hopefully get my butt in gear.

I do have to mention that I have been soda free for 3 weeks (since Feb 3) and while I miss it occasionally and am not sure I've seen/felt any health benefits, I know I'm better for it.

Tonight is also the Oscars. The glamorous night where we honor those in film who gave the overall best performances for the year... and we ogle well dressed men and glamorous women... and are still pondering Bjork's infamous swan dress of 2001. Its one of my favorite nights all year (forget the Super Bowl). I'm excited about tonight's telecast, mainly because of 1 film and the co-hosts.

"The King's Speech," to me, is this year's hands down best film. Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush did a marvelous job in their roles and Helena Bonham Carter's Queen was satisfyingly underplayed. I am not a stutterer, and I'm very good at public speaking, but Colin Firth made every second of his ordeal agonizing. I felt every second tick by as he attempted to get through a speech. I understood his anger. My heart ached for him. He needed help, and an unconventional therapist played by Geoffrey Rush was the answer. I thought the film brilliant and I am excited to see how well it does tonight. I'm also rooting for Natalie Portman for her role in "Black Swan," which was deliciously creepy. I've always adored Natalie, especially since her role in "V for Vendetta" (one of my all time favorite films), so an Oscar win would be fantastic.

The co-hosts tonight are James Franco and Anne Hathaway, 2 actors I admire greatly. The both seem like the would be awesome people to just go grab a beer with. I hope that their youthful energy will bring some life back to the Oscars. Their commercials have been highly amusing, so I'm optimistic.

So here's to the Oscars tonight... honoring the best in acting... and hopefully a good score card from me...

And thank you, Golf.... and one of you three lovely Mulligan men for my do-over.

No comments:

Post a Comment